Vegas (29-21-4) at Tampa Bay (39-11-2)
When: Tuesday, February 5th, 2019
Where: Amalie Arena,
Time: 7:35 ET | TV: FS Sun-Tampa Bay
Opening Odds: Tampa Bay -173/6.5
Open an Account at Bovada Sportsbook Now! Sign up at Bovada.lv to get up to a $250 Deposit Bonus to bet the NHL!
Two teams that love to hit their opponents will square-off on Tuesday night in Tampa, Florida as the Lightning host the reeling Vegas Golden Knights for the second time this season. Vegas swept the two-game season series last year en route to a Stanley Cup Finals appearance, but the Lightning got some revenge with a 3-2 victory in the desert back in October. The Knights have only been in the league two years, but are suffering through the longest losing streak in franchise history – four games – after Saturday’s 3-1 setback at Florida. The Lightning have only lost two straight games once this season and are coming off a 3-2 win over the New York Rangers on Saturday after edging the Islanders 1-0 in a shootout just 24 hours earlier. The Lightning could be without leading goal scorer Brayden Point (30) for a second straight game because of a lower-body injury. The Golden Knights are second in the league in hits (1,479) and the Lightning (1,317) sit seventh through Sunday’s action.
Left winger Max Pacioretty has been carrying the offense for Vegas while the other key members struggle during the losing streak. The former Canadien has four goals – pulling him within one of the team lead at 16 – and three assists in his past seven games overall. Vegas has just six goals total during their four-game losing streak and last season’s leading scorer William Karlsson does not have a point during that stretch. Alex Tuch currently leads the Knights in points (40), but hasn’t registered one in the past two games. Jonathan Marchessault (team-high 17 goals, 35 points) is scoreless in the last three.
This Stanley Cup-caliber Tampa Bay team is led by right winger Nikita Kucherov (league-leading 80 points) and Steven Stamkos, who has four of his 28 goals in the last four games while defenseman Victor Hedman posted six of his 399 career points in the past five games. Erik Cernak came up to the team from the minors in mid-November and has made an impact on the blue line with a +11 rating in 31 games to go along with seven assists and his first goal Saturday versus the Rangers. Center Paul Stastny is currently riding a career-high seven-game assist streak with eight overall during the stretch.
In hockey, just like baseball, you look at who will win the game, but also take into account the odds you have to lay in doing so. In a pickem game, I’ll take Tampa Bay at home, but I’m not laying a buck seventy against the reigning Western Conference Champions no matter how bad their playing right now. Take a small shot at the dog here.
Pick: Golden Knights +150
- Golden Knights are 6-1 in their last 7 games playing on 2 days rest.
- Golden Knights are 4-1 in their last 5 Tuesday games.
- Golden Knights are 41-18 in their last 59 after scoring 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Golden Knights are 1-4 in their last 5 when their opponent allows 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Golden Knights are 1-4 in their last 5 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Golden Knights are 1-5 in their last 6 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Golden Knights are 0-4 in their last 4 vs. Atlantic.
- Golden Knights are 0-4 in their last 4 overall.
- Lightning are 6-1 in their last 7 vs. Pacific.
- Lightning are 53-11 in their last 64 when their opponent scores 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Lightning are 39-13 in their last 52 overall.
- Lightning are 39-13 in their last 52 games playing on 2 days rest.
- Lightning are 19-7 in their last 26 Tuesday games.
- Lightning are 57-21 in their last 78 home games.
- Lightning are 56-23 in their last 79 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Lightning are 55-23 in their last 78 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Lightning are 53-25 in their last 78 after allowing 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Lightning are 36-17 in their last 53 vs. Western Conference.
- Lightning are 44-21 in their last 65 games following a win.
- Under is 3-0-1 in Golden Knights last 4 games playing on 2 days rest.
- Under is 9-3-1 in Golden Knights last 13 Tuesday games.
- Under is 6-2-1 in Golden Knights last 9 when their opponent allows 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Under is 7-3-2 in Golden Knights last 12 overall.
- Under is 7-3-1 in Golden Knights last 11 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Under is 13-6-2 in Golden Knights last 21 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Under is 4-0 in Lightning last 4 games following a win.
- Under is 6-1 in Lightning last 7 overall.
- Over is 5-1-1 in Lightning last 7 vs. Pacific.
- Under is 5-1 in Lightning last 6 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Over is 7-2-1 in Lightning last 10 vs. Western Conference.
- Over is 12-4-2 in Lightning last 18 after allowing 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Over is 7-3-1 in Lightning last 11 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.