Cleveland (0-0) at NY Giants (0-0)
When: Thursday, August 9th 2018
Where: MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
Time: 7:00 ET | TV: NFL Network
Opening Odds: New York -3/35
It would be an understatement to say that the Cleveland Browns and New York Giants had very rough 2017 seasons, with both teams combining for three victories (Browns, 0-16). A new season and very good drafts have both teams looking towards the future and an improved 2018. They will meet in the preseason opener for both teams on Thursday night at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Cleveland head coach Hue Jackson and Giants’ leader Pat Shurmur have losing records in their preseason coaching careers, but Jackson is coming off a perfect 4-0 in 2017, which obviously didn’t translate into regular season success. Jackson’s teams hadn’t won a single preseason game (0-8) before last preseason. As for Shurmur, he also previously head coached the Browns and his teams went 3-5 in the preseason. The line for this game opened at Giants -3, but sharps have bet this to where Cleveland is now a one-point favorite.
The Browns have Tyrod Taylor and Drew Stanton at quarterback, who are two veteran passers that have made plenty of starts in their careers. Taylor is currently No. 1 on the Browns QB depth chart, so he may get very little action on Thursday, but Stanton is a career backup and has had plenty of preseason action under his belt. At some point, we’ll get our first look at Baker Mayfield, who is the No. 1 pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. The Browns also have depth at running back too with Carlos Hyde and Nick Chubb vying for first-string carries. Cleveland traded away wide receiver Corey Coleman, but still have some experienced pass catches in Jarvis Landry, Jeff Janis, David Njoku, Darren Fells and Seth DeValve.
Obviously, the Giants are set a quarterback, but don’t have much depth behind him. Davis Webb, the No. 2, will get plenty of action over the next few weeks, but after that, it’s very thin. Webb was 18-of-34 with no touchdowns or interceptions last preseason and won’t have Odell Beckham Jr. or Sterling Shepard to throw to, as both are not expected to play. The Giants do have Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Stewart and Wayne Gallman at running back, which is a solid rotation.
Cleveland has much more depth at the skill positions in this matchup tonight and Jackson guided this team to a perfect 4-0 last preseason. I can see why the line has moved so much on this.
Pick: Browns -1
- Browns are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 Thursday games.
- Browns are 15-35-1 ATS in their last 51 games overall.
- Browns are 5-15-1 ATS in their last 21 road games.
- Browns are 1-11 ATS in their last 12 games on fieldturf.
- Giants are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 Thursday games.
- Over is 5-0 in Browns last 5 games on fieldturf.
- Under is 6-1 in Browns last 7 Thursday games.
- Over is 11-4 in Browns last 15 road games.
- Under is 6-1 in Giants last 7 games overall.
- Over is 4-1 in Giants last 5 Thursday games.
- Under is 10-3 in Giants last 13 games on fieldturf.
- Under is 9-3 in Giants last 12 home games.
- Favorite is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 meetings.
- Browns are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 meetings.