Kentucky Derby Picks: Top 15 Contenders as of April 2nd 2006
|Kentucky Derby Picks 2006 – Top 15 Kentucky Derby Contenders as of April 2, 2006
by Ultimatecapper.com Horse Handicapper Kenneth Strong
1. Lawyer Ron – Showed he could come from off the pace when he powered away from his field in the Rebel Stakes.
2. Brother Derek – Currently best in California but who has he been beating up on. Next race will tell.
3. Barbaro – Perfect 5-for-5 lifetime after very game win over Sharp Humor in the Florida Derby.
4. Discreet Cat – Impressive win over some top European runners in the U.A.E. Derby may put him back on the Derby trail.
5. A.P Warrior – New trainer John Shirreffs appears to have found the key with big free running San Felipe win.
6. Point Determined – Solid try in San Felipe was only good enough for second money.
7. Bluegrass Cat – Second best in Tampa Bay Derby against suspect competition but did have a wide trip.
8. Deputy Glitters – Gotham win from just off the pace gives him a chance. Trainer Tom Albertrani helps too.
9. Keyed Entry – Gave his best in Gotham to finish second but did not appear to like coming from off the pace.
10. Cause To Believe – Impressive beating nothing in California Derby. Running style would suit a speed-laden Derby.
11. Bob and John – Hung in the stretch as the favorite in the San Felipe and needs to improve in next.
12. Private Vow – Came up short in Rebel Stakes, his first start of the year. Needs a big move forward in next.
13. First Samurai – Always tries but doesn’t appear to want the Kentucky Derby distance of a mile and quarter.
14. Sharp Humor – Extremely game in Florida Derby loss, but running style could hurt him in Kentucky Derby. Can you say Preakness?
15. With A City – Lane’s End winner deserves a mention, even if he will be 70-1 or higher.
Upcoming 2006 Kentucky Derby Prep Races
April 8 – Santa Anita – Santa Anita Derby-G1 – 1 1/8m