Seattle (0-0) at Green Bay (0-0)
When: Sunday, September 10th 2017
Where: Lambeau Field, Green Bay, WI
Time: 4:25 ET | TV: FOX
Opening Odds: Green Bay -3/50
Two NFC powerhouses will lock horns in Week 1 of the NFL season when the Seattle Seahawks visit the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field in what could be an early preview of another playoff matchup. Green Bay’s streak of eight consecutive playoff appearances is one shy of the NFL record, while Seattle is not far by behind by making the postseason the last five years. Aaron Rodgers is the unquestioned leader in the Packers’ longstanding success as he has topped 4,000 passing yards six times and recorded his second season of 40 or more touchdown passes last year. Seattle QB Russell Wilson leads a less talented offense, but passes for a career-best 4,219 yards last season despite throwing just 21 touchdown passes – 13 fewer than the career high he set in 2015. Wilson was intercepted a career-worst five times when the Seahawks were routed 38-10 at Lambeau Field in December. Both teams were eliminated by the Atlanta Falcons in last year’s postseason – Seattle in the divisional round and Green Bay in the NFC title game. The Packers have won 10 of the 17 regular-season meetings with the Seahawks and two of their three postseason matchups.
With Thomas Rawls (ankle) questionable, Seattle is preparing to give veteran Eddie Lacy the bulk of the work as he returns to Lambeau Field after twice topping 1,100 rushing yards in four seasons with the Packers. Seattle’s wide receiving corps is not as potent as the Packers side, but Wilson has found throwing to Doug Baldwin and Tyler Locket comfortable. Baldwin is coming off a career-best 94 catches a season ago with 1,128 yards and seven scores – a far cry from his 14 TDs in 2015. Locket caught 41 balls last season and is a dangerous return man. The Seahawks’ defense remains loaded with stars like cornerback Richard Sherman (four interceptions last season), middle linebacker Bobby Wagner (167 tackles) and defensive end Michael Bennett (five sacks). Seattle opens their home schedule next week against the 49ers and should be double-digit favorites.
Rodgers has three super targets at his disposal in Jordy Nelson (97 catches last season), Davante Adams (75) and Randall Cobb (60), while converted receiver Ty Montgomery (457 yards in 2016) is the starting running back. Defense was a problem for Green Bay last season, allowing 30 or more points in five of its regular-season losses last year and recently added former Pro-Bowl linebacker Ahmad Brooks. He will join veteran linebacker Clay Matthews (career-low five sacks) and safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (five interceptions) in hopes of solidifying the defense. Brooks spent eight seasons in San Francisco and should be rejuvenated by joining a winning organization. The schedule doesn’t get any easier for Green Bay as they visit the Atlanta Falcons next Sunday night in a rematch of last year’s NFC Championship Game.
The oddsmakers probably got this line right, but the public really likes Green Bay in this one and so do I. The Seahawks have failed to cover in the last five trips to Lambeau and were humiliated last year there. Look for the Packers to roll in this one.
Pick: Packers -3
- Seahawks are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games on grass.
- Seahawks are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 road games.
- Packers are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 home games.
- Packers are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games in September.
- Packers are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games on grass.
- Packers are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Packers are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 vs. NFC.
- Packers are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 games in Week 1.
- Under is 4-1 in Seahawks last 5 games in September.
- Over is 4-1 in Seahawks last 5 road games.
- Over is 5-2 in Seahawks last 7 games overall.
- Over is 5-2 in Seahawks last 7 vs. NFC.
- Over is 7-0 in Packers last 7 games overall.
- Over is 4-0 in Packers last 4 games on grass.
- Over is 7-0 in Packers last 7 vs. NFC.
- Over is 6-0 in Packers last 6 games in Week 1.
- Over is 4-1 in Packers last 5 home games.
- Over is 11-3 in Packers last 14 games in September.
- Home team is 5-1 ATS in their last 6 meetings.
- Over is 6-2-1 in the last 9 meetings.
- Over is 5-2 in the last 7 meetings in Green Bay.
- Seahawks are 2-6-2 ATS in their last 10 meetings.
- Seahawks are 0-4-1 ATS in their last 5 meetings in Green Bay.