Michigan (8-3) at Texas (6-2)
When: Tuesday, December 12th 2017
Where: Frank Erwin Center, Austin, TX
Time: 9:00 ET | TV: ESPN2
Opening Odds: Texas -5.5
The Texas Longhorns look to keep their perfect home record going when they host the Michigan Wolverines on Tuesday night in Austin, Texas. The Longhorns are back on track after losses to No. 4 Duke (85-78) and 13th-ranked Gonzaga at the PK80 Tournament. Texas beat Florida A&M 82-58 before taking down VCU 71-67 on the road December 5th to hand Shaka Smart his 200th career coaching victory in his return to Richmond after leaving the Rams for Texas in 2015. The Longhorns have lost to Michigan in each of the last three years and have not beaten the Wolverines since March 15th, 1996. The Wolverines erased a 15-point second half deficit en route to a 78-69 overtime victory against the then 23rd-ranked Bruins on Saturday, as they knocked off a ranked team for the first time this season. Five of the six meetings between Texas and Michigan have been decided by six points or less. Michigan has split two Big Ten contests already, while the Longhorns have yet to get Big 12-play started.
Junior forward Moritz Wagner scored 23 points while shooting guard Charles Matthews added 20 points on 8-of-11 shooting and pulled down eight rebounds as the Wolverines outscored UCLA 13-4 in overtime to complete the upset. Zavier Simpson had his best game of the season as he recorded a career-high 15 points and four steals as Michigan forced 20 turnovers against the Bruins. Duncan Robinson is mired in a shooting slump after missing five of his six attempts from the floor to finish with two points and he is 5-for-30 from the field over his last four games. The Wolverines will face Detroit in the District of Detroit Classic on Saturday.
Sophomore guard Andrew Jones nailed 4-of-6 three-point attempts en route to a career-high 19 points in the win against VCU to finish in double figures for the seventh time in eight games. Jones leads all Michigan scorers at 15.2 points a game, but has yet to eclipse 20. Dylan Osetkowski added 17 points while freshman Mohamed Bamba contributed 13 points, 13 rebounds and four blocked shots against the Rams for his second double-double of his career. Bamba ranks third in the nation averaging four blocks a game. Eric Davis Jr. scored 11 points and Kerwin Roach handed out a season-high seven assists.
Both of these teams are pretty equally matched and have been tested already this season. If their recent history is any indication of how this will go, look for a close contest. I’ll take the points in this one.
Pick: Michigan +6
- Wolverines are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 Tuesday games.
- Wolverines are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 vs. Big 12.
- Wolverines are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games overall.
- Wolverines are 2-5-1 ATS in their last 8 games following a straight up win.
- Wolverines are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 road games.
- Wolverines are 1-5-1 ATS in their last 7 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Wolverines are 0-3-1 ATS in their last 4 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Wolverines are 0-3-1 ATS in their last 4 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Longhorns are 9-4 ATS in their last 13 vs. Big Ten.
- Longhorns are 3-7 ATS in their last 10 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Longhorns are 3-8-1 ATS in their last 12 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Longhorns are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of less than .400.
- Longhorns are 3-9-1 ATS in their last 13 games overall.
- Longhorns are 2-7-1 ATS in their last 10 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Longhorns are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 home games.
- Longhorns are 1-5-1 ATS in their last 7 games following a ATS loss.
- Over is 5-1-1 in Wolverines last 7 vs. Big 12.
- Under is 4-1 in Wolverines last 5 games following a ATS win.
- Over is 6-2-2 in Wolverines last 10 road games.
- Under is 6-2-1 in Wolverines last 9 games following a straight up win.
- Over is 5-2-2 in Wolverines last 9 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Under is 7-1 in Longhorns last 8 Tuesday games.
- Under is 7-2 in Longhorns last 9 games following a ATS loss.
- Under is 13-4 in Longhorns last 17 overall.
- Under is 38-13 in Longhorns last 51 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of less than .400.
- Under is 43-16 in Longhorns last 59 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Under is 10-4 in Longhorns last 14 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 5-2 in Longhorns last 7 home games.
- Under is 11-5 in Longhorns last 16 non-conference games.
- Under is 35-17-1 in Longhorns last 53 games following a straight up win.