Michigan (20-1) at Iowa (16-5)
When: Friday, February 1st, 2019
Where: Carver-Hawkeye Arena,
Iowa City, Iowa
Time: 7:00 ET | TV: FS1
Opening Odds: Michigan -3/142
Open an Account at Bovada Sportsbook to get up to a $250 Deposit Bonus!
The Iowa Hawkeyes are looking to climb back over the .500 mark in conference play when they host a team they haven’t beaten in a few years – the fifth-ranked Michigan Wolverines. Iowa was looking good with a five-game winning streak to vault up the Big Ten standings, but losses in back-to-back games have dropped them to the middle of the pack. The first of those two losses came to Michigan State (82-67) on January 24th, followed by a 92-87 setback to Minnesota on Sunday. The Hawkeyes have allowed 82 or more points in three of their last four games and are looking to beat the Wolverines for the first time since January 1st, 2017. Michigan is eyeing a potential No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament next month, but still have to get through a tough Big Ten schedule before thinking about that. The Wolverines can claim sole possession of first place over the Spartans with a win tonight in Iowa City, where they are just 2-6 ATS in their last eight trips. Michigan has been doing it all season with defense and its been getting even better lately, holding their last three opponents to fewer than 58 points including a 65-49 win over Ohio State on Tuesday. Michigan is ranked second in the country in scoring defense (56.1).
Michigan coach John Beilein recorded his program-tying 120th Big Ten win on Tuesday against Ohio State with help from Jordan Poole (team-high 15 points) and Ignas Brazdeikis (14 points). Isaiah Livers drained three 3-pointers en route to 12 points while Zavier Simpson became just the sixth player in program history to record a triple-double when he had 11 points, a career-high 12 assists and 10 rebounds. Beilein was more impressed with the fact that he had no turnovers in the game.
Luka Garza continues to wield the hot hand for Iowa, collecting at least 20 points in four-straight games after scoring 25 against Minnesota last Sunday. Isaiah Moss scored 23 points thanks to six 3-pointers, while also grabbing six rebounds and three assists in the loss to the Golden Gophers. Cook moved into 30th place on Iowa’s all-time scoring list with 1,156 after recording 18 versus Minnesota. Freshman Joe Wieskamp, who is averaging 11.2 points and 4.9 boards this season, was held to just three points.
You have one consistent team in Michigan against a totally inconsistent bunch in Iowa. The Wolverines are no joke, either at home or the road and have beaten Iowa four-straight times. Its tough to win on the road in conference play, but Michigan is good enough to win and cover just about anywhere right now. I’ll lay the points.
Pick: Michigan -3.5
- Wolverines are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games following a straight up win.
- Wolverines are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS win.
- Wolverines are 6-2 ATS in their last 8 games overall.
- Wolverines are 9-3 ATS in their last 12 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Wolverines are 22-8-2 ATS in their last 32 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Wolverines are 22-8-1 ATS in their last 31 road games.
- Wolverines are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Wolverines are 18-7-1 ATS in their last 26 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Wolverines are 34-16-1 ATS in their last 51 vs. Big Ten.
- Wolverines are 4-9 ATS in their last 13 games after allowing less than 50 points in their previous game.
- Hawkeyes are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games overall.
- Hawkeyes are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 vs. Big Ten.
- Hawkeyes are 4-9 ATS in their last 13 games after allowing more than 90 points in their previous game.
- Under is 4-0 in Wolverines last 4 overall.
- Under is 4-0 in Wolverines last 4 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 6-0-1 in Wolverines last 7 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Under is 4-0 in Wolverines last 4 vs. Big Ten.
- Under is 6-0-1 in Wolverines last 7 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Over is 5-1 in Wolverines last 6 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Under is 4-1 in Wolverines last 5 road games.
- Over is 4-1 in Wolverines last 5 Friday games.
- Over is 20-7 in Wolverines last 27 games after allowing less than 50 points in their previous game.
- Under is 7-3 in Wolverines last 10 games following a straight up win.
- Over is 5-1 in Hawkeyes last 6 games following a ATS loss.
- Over is 4-1 in Hawkeyes last 5 games after allowing more than 90 points in their previous game.
- Over is 16-5 in Hawkeyes last 21 games following a straight up loss.
- Under is 5-2 in Hawkeyes last 7 home games.
- Over is 10-4-1 in Hawkeyes last 15 vs. Big Ten.
- Over is 5-2-1 in Hawkeyes last 8 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Over is 11-5 in Hawkeyes last 16 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Over is 15-7 in Hawkeyes last 22 Friday games.
- Over is 4-0 in the last 4 meetings in Iowa.
- Over is 5-2-1 in the last 8 meetings.
- Favorite is 7-3 ATS in the last 10 meetings.
- Home team is 13-6 ATS in the last 19 meetings.
- Wolverines are 2-6 ATS in the last 8 meetings.
- Wolverines are 1-4 ATS in the last 5 meetings in Iowa.