Florida State (23-11) vs Michigan (31-7)
When: Saturday, March 24th 2018
Where: Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA
Time: 8:49 ET | TV: TBS
Opening Odds: Michigan -4/143
The Michigan Wolverines are quietly looking like the best team in this year’s NCAA Tournament as they’ve sandwiched two blowout victories around a thrilling buzzer-beater en route to their third Elite Eight in their last five tournament appearances. The offense will be tested however, against a Florida State Seminoles team that is seeking their first Final Four appearance in 46 years. The Wolverines set a new NCAA Tournament single-game record as eight players made at least one 3-pointer in the impressive 99-72 win against seventh-seeded Texas A&M on Thursday and have won eight of their last 12 games by double-digits. Michigan’s 99 points are the most by a Wolverines team in an NCAA Tournament game since 1992, and they have won 12 straight games overall, including nine of those away from home. Michigan can also set a single-season program record with their 32nd victory at the Staples Center on Saturday. Ninth-seeded Florida State muscled their way past No. 4 seed Gonzaga 75-60 to reach the Elite 8 for the first time since 1993. The Seminoles, who had one player finish in double figures against the Bulldogs, blocked nine shots while holding Gonzaga to 33.9% shooting from the floor en route to the upset win. Florida State has held all three opponents in the tournament to 70 points or less. The winner plays ninth-seeded Kansas State or No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago in the Final Four.
Terance Mann was the only double-digit scorer against Gonzaga, leading the way with 18 points to go along with five rebounds despite being hampered by a groin injury. Braian Angola and C.J. Walker each added nine points, while Trent Forrest provided a big spark off the bench with seven points, six rebounds and six assists. Fellow reserve Mfiondu Kabengele held his own against the Bulldogs frontcourt, blocking a game-high four shots. Florida State ranks 254th nationally in 3-point defense (36.0%), but held Gonzaga to 5-of-20 from long rage.
Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman scored 16 of his team-high 24 points in the second half and also recorded seven assists against Texas A&M after shooting a combined 7-of-26 from the floor in the first two rounds. Leading scorer Moritz Wagner also bounced back from two sub-par outings, as he recorded 14 of his 21 points in the first half to set the offensive tone as the Wolverines finished 14-of-24 from 3-point range against the Aggies. Charles Matthews continued his solid tournament play by adding 18 points on 8-of-11 shooting while Zavier Simpson contributed 11 points, six steals and five assists.
Michigan is on a roll right now, nailing shots left and right. They were also the only favorite to win outright in the four Thursday games. Florida State might have the advantage inside, but the Wolverines will use their experience and shooting to advance to the Final Four.
Pick: Michigan -4.5
- Seminoles are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 non-conference games.
- Seminoles are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 Saturday games.
- Seminoles are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Seminoles are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Seminoles are 6-2 ATS in their last 8 neutral site games.
- Seminoles are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games following a straight up win.
- Seminoles are 4-10 ATS in their last 14 vs. Big Ten.
- Wolverines are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games following a straight up win.
- Wolverines are 13-3-1 ATS in their last 17 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Wolverines are 8-2 ATS in their last 10 games after scoring more than 90 points in their previous game.
- Wolverines are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 games following a ATS win.
- Wolverines are 3-1-1 ATS in their last 5 NCAA Tournament games.
- Wolverines are 6-2 ATS in their last 8 non-conference games.
- Wolverines are 8-3-1 ATS in their last 12 Saturday games.
- Wolverines are 18-7-1 ATS in their last 26 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Wolverines are 34-16-2 ATS in their last 52 games overall.
- Wolverines are 35-17-3 ATS in their last 55 neutral site games.
- Wolverines are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 vs. Atlantic Coast.
- Under is 7-1 in Seminoles last 8 non-conference games.
- Over is 6-1 in Seminoles last 7 Saturday games.
- Under is 5-1 in Seminoles last 6 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 5-1 in Seminoles last 6 neutral site games.
- Under is 4-1 in Seminoles last 5 games following a ATS win.
- Under is 9-3 in Seminoles last 12 NCAA Tournament games.
- Under is 5-2 in Seminoles last 7 overall.
- Under is 5-2 in Seminoles last 7 games following a straight up win.
- Under is 5-2 in Seminoles last 7 vs. Big Ten.
- Under is 4-0-1 in Wolverines last 5 games after scoring more than 90 points in their previous game.
- Over is 7-2-1 in Wolverines last 10 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Over is 6-2-2 in Wolverines last 10 overall.
- Over is 6-2-2 in Wolverines last 10 games following a straight up win.
- Over is 3-1-1 in Wolverines last 5 games following a straight up win of more than 20 points.
- Over is 9-3-1 in Wolverines last 13 vs. Atlantic Coast.
- Under is 3-1-1 in Wolverines last 5 NCAA Tournament games.
- Under is 5-2 in Wolverines last 7 non-conference games.
- Over is 47-22-1 in Wolverines last 70 Saturday games.